Once the excitement wore off (sort of, I'm still excited) reality kicked in and my mind has been going into overdrive. Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the enormity of it all.
IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!!!
ON A BIKE!!!!
I've enjoyed the biking. I like biking to and from work. I don't like the trucks that get too close.
I am getting used to the cleats and I'm even getting better at both legs doing opposite motions...at the same time. Took a bit of brain power to get that sorted but it's slowly getting easier and easier.
I'm now a lot more comfortable riding on the road and to be honest, doing that makes the ride a bit smoother and faster. Yesterday, on the ride in, people still passed me but they weren't getting away quite as quickly (yay) and in my defense I am carrying anywhere between 7 - 10kg of extra weight in my panniers because I have to take all my stuff to work.
But all this week with the deposit date looming I haven't been able to sleep. I wake at night and lie there with a hollow feeling in my stomach (or maybe I'm just hungry haha) my brain going into overdrive coming up with all the excuses why I probably shouldn't do it:
"I don't really have the money to spare. What if no one wants to support me?"
"Who will I get to look after the kids?"
"Do I really need to get a road bike? That's another expense"
"Do I really want to ride 840kms? My bums going to be really sore"
"Can I afford the time off work?"
"OMG Steven's just posted another ride of 110km, the other people in the group are doing massive rides and my biggest ride to date has only been 55km, how will I ever keep up??"
"I've been telling everyone I'm doing this, how can I now turn around and say I've decided not to? Maybe if I just stop talking about it people will forget."
Lying there composing my message to Wayne, "Look Wayne I really can't afford it" (that always seems to be the go to excuse right?) "I have to get Connor an new duvet set, I'm saving to buy a house, the kids need clothes etc."
In the words of one of my fave mentors...
This is an amazing opportunity!! Think of the sense of personal achievement when I actually complete the ride let alone being part of something much bigger. Being part of raising awareness for HFF and raising money to contribute towards children in need...and now to the children and families in New Zealand, that's even more awesome!!! I'm one of four people in the whole of NZ who have committed to doing this ride, I think that's pretty cool.
What do I teach my clients? Look for solutions to get the result you want. In fact one of my clients poked his tongue out at me the other day because for every excuse he had as to why this or that wouldn't work I countered with a solution. Maybe I should practice what I preach, aye?
Ask the right questions to get around those obstacles.
Don't say "I can't afford it." Ask yourself "How can I afford afford it?" This allows your brain to open up and look for solutions rather than being completely closed off and not getting anywhere. (And this is exactly why everyone should do daily personal development.)
So for each of the above EXCUSES above here are my SOLUTIONS:
- Get to work and get fundraising. Talk to lots of people. Sure there will be people that say no but the more people I talk to the more yeses I'll get too. Get more active in my business and use that money to put towards the ride.
- The kids - not even an issue I just have to be organised. Start asking people for help now.
- Sometimes you have to make do with what you have. Sure maybe a road bike would be faster (actually there's no maybe about it) but I know the requirements and 25km/hour is 25km/hour so as long as I can maintain that speed I should be fine...right? And I'll just train and maintain a higher speed.
- Of course I want to ride 840km. That's not even an excuse and it's the WHY behind the ride that's way more important. Really I was just clutching at straws with that one. And besides, how good is my butt gonna look with all that riding? haha
- If I can't take time off work then I'm not doing my job properly. And it's important to have a holiday. But I wonder when my bosses are going to approve my leave? I have to pay the deposit today...
- GET TRAINING GIRLFRIEND!!!! Besides, maybe there are others at the same level as me that just aren't posting.
- Not an issue because I AM DOING IT!!!
How can you help?
Donations can be made via PayPal using email@example.com as the email. Or feel free to contact me directly by email for internet banking account details.
For donations over $250 talk to me about getting your logo on my training gear.
Keep an eye out for some fun fundraising events that I'll be working on in the next few months.