Over the last few weeks or so saying that to myself has become a habit. Anything slightly irritating is followed with me saying “FML” but it has stemmed from a year of being “the middle man” in a stressful situation that finally exploded into a major situation. As a result 2018 has ended in a completely unexpected way and I feel discombobulated so have been keeping a fairly low profile.
I caught myself saying it more and more frequently on a daily basis and before I knew it I found I was starting to say it for no real reason at all. It was just becoming a habit.
- There are always silver linings even if you can’t see it at the time. I found mine and keep reminding myself about them. Sometimes you have to dig really deep to find them. Luckily I didn’t have to.
- Sometimes you have to let things go - even dreams you have had for years - to allow bigger brighter better ones in. Or maybe not let them go completely but make modifications.
- Nothing is forever and it’s up to me to make the changes.
- Remember - while it's good to plan for the future it's just as important to enjoy the journey. Be grateful, find the beauty, be in the moment and be present.
- I have some really good people in my life. I have been choosy though and it took me up until about 4 years ago to realise that it was my choice. I could either be surrounded by people who weren’t growing, thought small, and were a drain on my energy or I could be surrounded by people who help you to grow as a person, are inspiring, kind, caring, and genuinely care about you. I am fortunate enough to have these people in my life but sometimes it’s a case of moving on from people to make room for the people who fill your cup.
In light of the self talk - “FML” - Mel Robbins #mindsetreset challenge popped up in my email at a really good time so I signed up and am now into day 4 of 35. I have no affilliation with Mel Robbins, I just love her stuff and am loving her challenge so feel free to check it out and join in - it's free)
So far we have identified the things we did well in 2018, where we are right now and what we want to improve on and now starting to think about setting up 2019.
From this exercise I have identified that I am generally pretty happy with my life in the areas of my body, my work, money, love, friendships, my self worth. But I also identified that there is definitely room for improvement.
- Completed the HNF fundraising ride from Melbourne to Adelaide for the 2nd time. It was definitely more mentally challenging this time around but I did the whole thing and managed to push past the one moment where I thought I might miss a leg.
- I’ve completed nearly 2 years of my bookkeeping business – Maple Lion Solutions
- I opened The Nutrition Hutt with Martine and have been able to help more people with their health & wellness. We are 6 months in and looking forward to helping more people in 2019.
- I’ve got control of my anxiety. Not many people know this but in the last 18 months to 2 years I developed symptoms of anxiety and it got to the point where I would be heading to the supermarket and have to turn around and go home. There were times were I would be on my hands and knees thinking I was going to die, have a heart attack or a stroke or something. The anxiety had morphed into health anxiety. But I got it under control and now it’s a lot less frequent and nowhere near as severe. And in light of all that drama I’m super proud of what I have achieved in 2018. I can move into 2019 with a clear head and focus.
- Help more people with their health & wellness whether that be through helping people to make a healthy active lifestyle their new normal and reaping the benefits that come with that sort of lifestyle.
- Help more people manage their pain, stress, sleep, movement with Cyclo-ssage.
- Help more sole traders stay on top of their accounts so they can focus on their business and do the things they love.
- More quality time with the kids.
- More quality time with friends – it’s so easy to get busy doing life that we can forget to make time for those that mean a lot to us. So watch out guys you are on my radar and I want to spend more time hanging out with you.
- More time just being. Getting out and about. Road trips, enjoying this beautiful country we live in.
- Buy a house.
2018 has been a year of preparation, 2019 is where the magic is going to happen.
Just writing this blog has made me remember how fortunate I am and all the good things that have happened this year. It has made me remember all the good that people have done both those I know and those I don’t know, how big people’s hearts are and how lucky I am to have those people in my life.
So what’s been awesome about 2018 for you, and what are you going to create in 2019? I’d love to hear about it.